Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Autumn Squirrels

I love seeing the squirrels rush around in the fall, gathering acorns. They rush back and fork quite eagerly trying to prepare themselves for the long, cold winters that come all to soon here in Finland. Happily, the beautiful colors of the fall leaves, and warm, hearty stews of traditional Finnish foods make this season quite a welcoming time.

 Those thoughts inspired today's fall themed bento.






In these bento meals the girls had:
  1. Squirrels made of bread crust and tortilla. I painted in details with lingonberry jam and honey mixed with soy sauce...it worked quite well. The orange leaves are thin carrot slices. The acorns are tortilla, honey and soy sauce.
  2. The squirrels sit on top of a serving of maksalaatikko, a Finnish traditional liver casserole. It's really delicious; containing liver, rice, butter, raisins and eggs. I serve it warm but it can be eaten cold. A condiment of lingonberry jam is the best combination for a enjoyable autumn lunch.
  3. Along with the casserole and ligonberry jam the girls had a serving of fall inspired dried fruit. Prunes,apricots and apples.
  4. I slipped in a crunchy, sweet apple bunny made from one of our home apples. 

This was today's snack bento:

Inside she had:
  1. Whole grain buttered raisin bread shaped as a brown squirrel. The eyes and teeth are cheese.
  2. An acorn treat...tortilla spread with Nutella. The top of the acorn shells is also Nutella.
  3. Dried fall fruits with a fall leaf pick.
  4. A few pieces of caramel popcorn. 
Welcome Autumn! It's my favorite season!

Linking these lunches and snack bento to bento blog networks,  autumn bento of the week!  http://www.bentoblognetwork.com/2012/11/bento-of-week-autumn.html

24 comments:

  1. What a great theme and super cute bentos. I especially love the raisin bread squirrel, it's adorable!!:) This inspires me to make a fall bento.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rina! I love your bentos so much so I know I'll be lovin you fall ideas!!

      Delete
  2. This looks AMAZING Keisha!!! Seriously. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Squirrels! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Thanks ladybug!!! It's been a while!! How have you been bento buddy? I need to check up on your site today!!

      Delete
  4. Adorable squirrels! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Diana! I love bento blog network!!!

      Delete
  5. So cute! Your squirrels are totally adorable. I agree with you, this cute animal has an autumn feeling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mayumi!! I just always start feeling the gathering rush around this time! In Finland the winter is harsh so the little animals don't mess around!! I have to refil my bird seed feeder twice a day!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh, my goodness, how precious! Love, love, love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Venia!! Big eyes and bushy tales, can't go wrong!! Lol

      Delete
    2. Ha! Wish I could say I was bright eyed this morning...late night.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you so much lovely Rebecca!! Your bentos alwys get mine...they always dazzle!

      Delete
  8. Such cute little squirrels. Love it! Fantastic work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful bento...you put so much thought and effort into it. Congrats for being bento of the week in BBN. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the squirrels! what are the leaves made of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna!! I pealed a carrot with a chesse cutter then cut the thin flat strips with a leaf cookie cutter!

      Delete
  11. Your lunches amaze me every time I stop by.

    ReplyDelete